Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tough Mudder - Are you tough enough?




Training
We didn't train very hard. We trained sporadically. We could have and should have done more, especially with upper body strength. We were able to run 5 miles very easily without even getting winded and had even done some 7 and 8 mile runs.

The Day/Night Before
A was pretty nervous and was seriously thinking about not doing the event. She was worried we didn't train enough and that it was too cold. The night before we went to Dicks and to Underarmour outlet and she picked up thermal compression leggings and a shirt. I also picked up compression pants and some Gu energy packets. My original plan was to run in compression shorts with regular shorts over them but the temperatures were going to be in the low 40s not the 60s as I hoped.
The Gu was a gamble. Last time I tried them about 2 years ago they tasted like absolute crap. This time there were more flavor choices. Seeing peanut butter made me want to give it another chance.

Once A got thermal leggings she seemed to feel more prepared and calmed down.

I was excited!

We needed carbs so we headed to pf changs. A got mongolian beef and rice, I got veggies and lo mein.

What we expected http://toughmudder.com/flash_course_map/pennsylvania-2012/map.swf




Morning
We woke up at 7:15. Our heat was 11:40am. We quickly grabbed our mostly packed bags and headed out.

I brought several options of clothes and figured I'd decide what I'm doing on the spot. I even had an abbreviated wet suit with me. I was thinking I might pull the top off and just have it around my waist in between water obstacles. In hind sight it wasnt such a bad plan and one I may implement next time.

Drive
We stopped by Wawa. A got a bagel with cream cheese sandwich which she ate 1/2 of. I got a bagel with berry cream cheese and a mcmuffin with bacon egg and cheese. I consumed it during the 1.5 hour drive, along with 1/3 a coffee.

Parking
Parking was fast and smooth. Only downside is it was $10. I changed in the car into my compression clothes/base layer and outer layer, and put on my vibram 5 fingers.

Lots of people were getting pumped up in the parking lot as they shuffled past the portapotys to the busses. Bonus points for hand wash stations too.


Check-in
The check in had a name break down. The wait was only 5 min if that. We got processed quickly, got our packets, our #s and had it written on us. We were also given our drinking bracelet after ID check. They took our signed death-waiver/limited liability releases.


Final Wardrobe
We checked our gear, stripped off fleeces, put gear claim on our bags and checked them in.


Bag Check-in
Check in was fast and well organized.


Festivities
lots of vendors, sponsors, people making friends and runners that just finished shivering. I almost got a haircut from the bic people but our heat was lining up so I had to leave the line.


Starting Line!!
You had to climb over a berlin wall just to get to the starting line! There was a photographer there to take a picture of everyone with a signed death waiver.

There was a pretty good short motivational speech, reminder of the wounded warrior project, National Anthem and then we were off!

The plan was simple - keep moving and don't stop no matter what.




Barbed Wire Obstacle - Kiss the Mud
Standard stuff. Crawl through the nice soft squishy mud. The barbed wire was much higher off the ground than I was expecting. One guy next to me snagged a little and he got some help untangling.







Ice Bath
There's icy water. There's ice trucks dumping ice into it. People jump in, and have to fully submerge to get underneath a wooden bar. There's barbed wire over the top. Marines are encouraging you to keep it moving. There's some food coloring in the water. People coming out are entering stage 1 and stage 2 hypothermia. I have vacation to go on. I skipped it this time. Next time I am going to be better prepared and will do it.



Rocks
Its a nice run, we were jogging at a decent pace but we started to beat up our feet on the rocks. Quite a few people running next to us were asking us about how it was like to run in 5 finger shoes.

Berlin Walls
The videos and photos show a lot of camaraderie. The reality of the situation was that people were only helping their own team mates. One guy asked me to film him going over. Once I handed him the camera back, he took off without helping us cross. Next time we plan to have a larger team, with tall people on it to help us cross. :(


Hills
Just a steep hill going down and coming back up. Few people slipped but not a bad obstacle overall.

Death March
A lovely stroll up a steep rock covered hill. Based on the map I was expecting we would have to carry a log up this hill and that it would be the final obstacle.



Mudd Pitts
Nice deep soft mud. The mud grabed you by the feet. The mud held on to you. The mud concealed rocks, tree roots and grabbed on to your shoes. I could see why some people lost their shoes and others had duct-taped theirs on. some people were stumbling. For the most part everyone was doing a good job of helping and catching anyone stumbling or falling.


Fire Obstacle
This is mostly a psychological obstacle. It looked rather imposing from the distance. As you ran up the hill you saw back smoke rising.
It looked worse than it was. The Pocono fire dept had their water trucks and brush fire truck out. They were burning hay bails on either side of a rather wide path. The worst part was jsut the soot and smoke in my eyes. We ran through quickly enough that it didn't bother my breathing.







Drink Station 1
The camelbak was an awesome sponsor. The drink stations were plentiful. I wish the first one was a tad closer though.

We were also given sharky energy chews. We didn't like the taste. I busted out the penut butter flavored gu packet and it hi the spot.

The trails were covered with empty gel packets.



The portapottys were... They have seen better days. I went into one and it looked like someone opened the door and jsut took an explosive shit all over the inside. I tried another one and it wasn't much better. No it wasn't mud, there was mud and there was shit. What the hell people?

Drink Station 2
By this time handwash stations disappear. There's mud, deal with it. in addition to water there's bananas cut in 1/2. I'm not a fan but I'm hungry and its a good energy food.

Drink Station 3
More water, more bananas. I'm hungry at this point so I have a few more bananas.


Monkey Net/Cargo Net
Everyone was helping each other out, Holding the net down to stretch it. We got over it quickly and I held the next for the next few people.

Devils Beard
There is a cargo net stretched horizontally, low to the ground. People held it up at either end to let people pass, the people were arching their backs underneath it to let others crawl through. A lot of people were getting their race numbers and safety pins ripped off. Some of the safety pins managed to open. I got one stuck in me pretty deep. The girl holding the net next to me freaked out about how deep it was in my shin. It didnt want to come out on first try but I yanked it out on 2nd try. We kept moving.


20 Foot Jump
Self explanatory. Next time, and with a wet suit.






The marines were channeling gunny and fond memories of Perris Island as they alternated between yelling at people to wait and to get the hell of their obstacle.


Carry your Wood
There's a pile of wood that you get to pick your log from. Grab one and go for a walk. There was no hill, and it wasn't as far as I was expecting it to be. Once the loop is done you place the log back where you found it. Every time I passed a log someone had abandoned I felt better and more energized.






Electric Eeel
This was a mystery obstacle. If I meet who came up with it I will shake their hand and then taser them until the batteries die. Then I may pop in a fresh battery pack. Its a super shallow pool filled with water and water coloring. The wires are overhead and stretching down to just above the water. The people in front of you slow the proces down and you get shocked more times and for longer. When people next to you get shocked the water conducts it and you feel it too. I think I got shocked 10 or 12 times.











Under the Bridge
The entrance to tough mudder is a nice low wooden bridge. The runners need to crawl under it. There was some barbed wire stretched across it too for extra motivation. Some people were rolling underneath it and getting dissy.

Half Pipe
This was a really fun obstacle. Everyone was helping each other out, grabbing the arms of the people near the top and hoisting them up. It was fun to watch people in costumes (4 guys in wedding dresses, and several in brides maid dresses). The failed attempts were equally amusing. A and I managed to scramble up on first attempt. Thank you tot he 2 people that grabbed our arms and helped crest the top.







Turned out that the guys with backpacks were doing a ruck run and were packing bricks. More power to them. Must have sucked for the people helping to hoist them up who weren't expecting all the extra weight.

Submerged Pipes
There were 2 culvert pipes, a gully, 4 foot gap between the pipes and it was filled with icy water and mud. The pipes were wide enough for A to crawl right through them on hands and knees. I belly crawled down, flipped over on my back and push-crawled up. Oh yeah and there was barbed wire over the gap to discourage standing up.











Berlin Walls
More walls, more people not helping other tams. Boo.





Mud Pitts/Mud Mile
It was a serious of 9 pits filled with icy water and mud. There were rocks that stubbed out toes in the 5 finger shoes. Thankfully it wasn't really a full mile of it. At the end there was a decent sized hill.





Balance Beam
OK



Trench Warfare






Flying Rings
This




Monkey Bars
They are monkey bars, inclined up at about 20 degree angle, at the top they angle back down. there is freezing cold water underneath. rumor has it some of them were greased.



Mile 11


Mile 12
OK

Electroshock Therapy
The final obstacle 10 feet in front of the finish line. By far my least favorite obstacle.










Finish Line




Finish Area
Beers and headbands!





Bag Claim
The bag claim was very well run and organized - great job guys.

Costumes
We saw many awesome costumes as we traversed the coarse.



Different Gear
Next year I plan to go with a wet suit and possibly more padding for my feet.


Pictures from March 28
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150848375162790.470463.121520047789&type=1

Cleanup

Damage Report
We didn't end up throwing out our shoes. It took 3 wash cycles with garden hose and 2 washes in clothes washer to get the clothes wearable. Nothing appears to be ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment